Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Northern Tanzania ecosystem

It has been a while since I write here, this cause of strong eternal arguments I currently face. I’m fond of writing but since I started to live on this dream I found out there are more things to overcome more than writing interesting stories; prejudices and biased with jealousy, suspicion, fear, envy, and pride. Anyway, this is human nature so slowly I’ll try to avoid them, I hope you will forgive me when you find that kind of thing.

I have been in some adventures, conversational and formal trips plus my daily routines which I won’t tell you unless you steal my diary.

Just to start with a couple of weeks ago, I join SIT (School International Training) Tanzania program. Here I’m a young Tanzania ecologist working with other colleagues who I assume are twice my age, this is not first last year I was elected to an executive committee member of WCST (Wildlife Conservation Society of Tanzania- Arusha branch), here also I’m the youngest ever before.

What I would like to talk about here, as usual, it about my wild portraits but not the gossips about my life, I know out there are people who have more so better not to make you tired with mine.

As the students land on this safaris country they had no chance to see any of our big towns, from Kilimanjaro airport transferred to West Kilimanjaro. Spent five busy days at Ndarakwa ranch, here they had a glimpse of what they will be up to. Start with African-Tanzania food, Kiswahili language (part of their study), animals viewing with the introduction of how they will study them, walking cross savanna for orientation of ethnobiology and last but not on the least visit Maasai boma and had an only quick view of the richest cultures which strive for existence. There were more but bit individuals mention yoga and stretching under acacia trees on open savanna with a gentle breeze from the highest mount in Africa which the peak lies about 10km, blue sky, and numerous birds songs and calls; This was perfect for YOGA. In particular, I was invited by the runners so imagine running on open wild animal’s ranch, I couldn’t hold back my emotion as we run across impala’s harem. These impalas pay back my run randomly with their spectaculars looping 3m high 6m long what a wonderful scene!


Days went by so fast, till the last day in Ndarakwai still some students were in the dreamland, they didn’t expect all this with incredible academic direct, knowledgeable teachers and high experience crew, learning here was comfortable as luxury safari.

Then came long waited moment, to see Arusha town go to the restaurants have chocolate the things which absolutely remind them back home. Although the time to this town was limited after two days they were already allocated in their home staying each with his/her new family.

Thereafter two weeks was rock and roll back to the wild, Tarangire-Manyara is a study area. Camp inside of Tarangire for busy four days was a total experience which one will never forget. After dinner short time spent on the campfire, here I was taught a few ridiculous games like Jimy Posh, posh, posh! Night followed by wild sound unusual like scoops owl’s, fun as hyena and scaring as lions. One of the students told me that he had to swallow sleeping peals in order to sleep. The morning could start as early as 6am for my bird group, observation, and all those scientific methods then back to camp are calculations, create a hypothesis and lastly each group before lunch present. It was deep in learning to require much attention but all was fun as a ruminant group makes a joke on the non-ruminant group. On the study of vegetations and animals there are challenges such as observing, sex an animal like elephants which never stop but what about a hippo that lies down for entire observing time!

Tarangire was done with a lecture from park warden, here was a useful chance, park warden give lecture on all important subjects including recently elephant population which is about 27 000 to 30000 within 28 000km square in the park without physical boundaries, What a conflict with neighbor communities? What will happen? What is happen? Those are kinds of questions students bomb the park warden. The academic direct claimed that this is an active group of students as long as he can remember for his ten years.

The same program continues to Manyara except for addition of culture walk through Mto wa Mbu, consider is a small place you are likely to meet almost 120+ ethics groups which make up Tanzania.


Learn and explore more at El Mundo Safaris 

No comments:

Post a Comment